Current research activities include:
- 2D Transition Metal Dichalcogenides (TMDs): optical and electronic properties
- Valley polarization and scattering mechanisms in TMDs
- Semiconductor Spintronics and Valleytronics
- Physics and applications of semiconductor nanostructures
- Spin-LEDs: spin injection and detection in Fe/GaAs and Fe/Si
- Magneto-optical studies on magnetic semiconductors and ferromagnet/semiconductor heterostructures for spintronic applications
Short Curriculum Vitae
George Kioseoglou received his B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Physics from the University of Thessaloniki. He obtained his doctoral degree in experimental solid state physics from the State University of New York at Buffalo in 1999 in the area of spectroscopic studies of electronic states in semiconductor heterostructures. From 1999 to 2001, he was a post-doctoral research associate at the Department of Physics SUNY at Buffalo/Brookhaven National Laboratory (Long Island, New York). In 2002 he moved to Washington DC as a postdoctoral associate at Naval Research Laboratory (NRL)/George Washington University where he continued his work on efficient electrical spin injection and detection in semiconductors. From 2004 to 2006 he was a National Research Council (NRC) post-doctoral Fellow with the materials physics branch at NRL. In 2007 he was appointed Associate Professor at the Department of Materials Science and Technology of the University of Crete.
Prof. Kioseoglou has shared 3 times the NRL Alan Berman research publication award for his outstanding work on efficient electrical spin injection in GaAs and Si spin-LEDs [PRB 62, 8180 (2000), PRL 89, 166602 (2002), Nature Physics 3, 542 (2007)]. He has co-authored over 85 scientific publications in refereed journals and contributed more than 200 conference presentations; he has 4 very highly cited papers in spintronics [APL 80, 1240 (2002)-882 citations, PRB 62, 8180 (2000)-644 citations, APL 82, 4092 (2003)-447 citations, Nature Physics 3, 542 (2007)- 479 citations (data from Google Scholar - March 2022)]. He is an active member of the American Physical Society and serves in APS and MMM conferences.
Selected Recent Publications
- Demeridou I, Papadopoulos A, Kourmoulakis G, Mouchliadis L, Stratakis E and Kioseoglou G, Tuning the valley polarization in WS2 monolayers via control of active defect sites induced by photochemical doping, APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 118 (12), 123103 (2021).
- Paradisanos I, McCreary KM, Adinehloo D, Mouchliadis L, Robinson JT, Chuang HJ, Hanbicki AT, Perebeinos V, Jonker BT, Stratakis E and Kioseoglou G, Prominent room temperature valley polarization in WS2/graphene heterostructures grown by chemical vapor deposition, APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 116 (20), 203102 (2020).
- Demeridou I, Paradisanos I, Liu YY, Pliatsikas N, Patsalas P, Germanis S, Pelekanos NT, Goddard WA, Kioseoglou G and Stratakis E, Spatially selective reversible charge carrier density tuning in WS2 monolayers via photochlorination, 2D MATERIALS 6 (1), 015003 (2019).
- Psilodimitrakopoulos S, Mouchliadis L, Paradisanos I, Lemonis A, Kioseoglou G and Stratakis E, Ultrahigh-resolution nonlinear optical imaging of the armchair orientation in 2D transition metal dichalcogenides, LIGHT-SCIENCE & APPLICATIONS 7 18005 (2018).
- Zhao C, Norden T, Zhang PY, Zhao PQ, Cheng YC, Sun F, Parry JP, Taheri P, Wang JQ, Yang YH, Scrace T, Kang KF, Yang S, Miao GX, Sabirianov R, Kioseoglou G, Huang W, Petrou A and Zeng H, Enhanced valley splitting in monolayer WSe2 due to magnetic exchange field, NATURE NANOTECHNOLOGY 12 (8), 757-+ (2017).
- Paradisanos, I, Germanis, S, Pelekanos, NT, Fotakis, C, Kymakis, E, Kioseoglou, G, Stratakis, E. "Room temperature observation of biexcitons in exfoliated WS2 monolayers", APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 110, 193102 (2017).
- Kakavelakis, G, Maksudov, T, Konios, D, Paradisanos, I, Kioseoglou, G, Stratakis, E, Kymakis, E. "Efficient and Highly Air Stable Planar Inverted Perovskite Solar Cells with Reduced Graphene Oxide Doped PCBM Electron Transporting Layer", ADVANCED ENERGY MATERIALS 7, 1602120 (2017).
- Kioseoglou, G, Hanbicki, AT, Currie, M, Friedman, AL, Jonker, BT. "Optical polarization and intervalley scattering in single layers of MoS2 and MoSe2", SCIENTIFIC REPORTS 6, 25041 (2016).
- Hanbicki, AT, Kioseoglou, G, Currie, M, Hellberg, CS, McCreary, KM, Friedman, AL, Jonker, BT. "Anomalous temperature-dependent spin-valley polarization in monolayer WS2", SCIENTIFIC REPORTS 6, 18885 (2016).
- Hanbicki, AT, McCreary, KM, Kioseoglou, G, Currie, M, Hellberg, CS, Friedman, AL, Jonker, BT. "High room temperature optical polarization due to spin-valley coupling in monolayer WS2", AIP ADVANCES 6, 055804 (2016).
- Kioseoglou, G, Korkusinski, M, Scrace, T, Hanbicki, AT, Currie, M, Jonker, BT, Petrou, A, Hawrylak, P. "Spin effects in MoS2 and WS2 single layers", PHYSICA STATUS SOLIDI-RAPID RESEARCH LETTERS 10, 111-119 (2016). Invited Review Paper
- Paradisanos, I, Pliatsikas, N, Patsalas, P, Fotakis, C, Kymakis, E, Kioseoglou, G, Stratakis, E. "Spatial non-uniformity in exfoliated WS2 single layers", NANOSCALE 8, 16197-16203 (2016). Front Cover
- Currie, M, Hanbicki, AT, Kioseoglou, G, Jonker, BT. "Optical control of charged exciton states in tungsten disulfide", APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 106, 201907 (2015).
- Scrace, T, Tsai, Y, Barman, B, Schweidenback, L, Petrou, A, Kioseoglou, G, Ozfidan, I, Korkusinski, M, Hawrylak, P. "Magnetoluminescence and valley polarized state of a two-dimensional electron gas in WS2 monolayers", NATURE NANOTECHNOLOGY 10, 603 (2015).
- Hanbicki, AT, Currie, M, Kioseoglou, G, Friedman, AL, Jonker, BT. "Measurement of high exciton binding energy in the monolayer transition-metal dichalcogenides WS2 and WSe2", SOLID STATE COMMUNICATIONS 203, 16-20 (2015).