Current research activities include:
- Experimental Soft Condensed Matter.
- Dynamics of colloidal dispersions in bulk and near a wall.
- Colloidal systems out of equilibrium.
- Dynamics, rheology and ageing of soft colloidal glasses and gels.
- Effects of particle interaction on the dynamics and rheology.
- Instrumentation: Combination of light scattering techniques with rheology.
Short Curriculum Vitae
George Petekidis received his Bachelors degree in Physics from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in 1989 and moved to the Department of Physics of the University of Crete and FORTH in 1990 for graduate studies. He was awarded a Masters degree in Physics in 1995 and concluded his PhD thesis in Polymer Physics in 1997 working on the "Dynamics of Hairy-rod polymers". After serving his military service he moved to the Department of Physics and Astronomy of the University of Edinburgh with an individual Marie-Curie fellowship where he worked until 2002 under the supervision of Prof. P.N. Pusey on the "Dynamics of colloidal glasses under shear". In 2002 he joined FORTH initially with a return Marie-Curie fellowship and then (2004-2006) as an Associated researcher (grade C). In 2006 he moved to the Department of Materials Science and Technology of University of Crete where he is currently a Professor.
- G. Petekidis, A. Moussaïd, and P.N. Pusey, "Rearrangements in Hard-Sphere Glasses under Oscillatory Shear Strain", Phys. Rev. E 66, 051402, (2002).
- K. Pham, G. Petekidis, D. Vlassopoulos, S.U. Egelhaaf, W.C.K Poon, and P.N. Pusey, "Yielding behaviour of repulsion- and attraction-dominated colloidal glasses", J. Rheology 52, 649, (2008).
- N. Koumakis, A.B. Schofield, and G. Petekidis, "Effects of shear induced crystallization on the rheology of Hard sphere colloids", Soft Matter 4, 2008-2018, (2008).
- P. Ballesta, R. Besseling, L. Isa, G. Petekidis, and W.C.K Poon, "Slip and flow of glassy hard sphere colloidal suspensions", Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 258301, (2008).
- V. N. Michailidou, G. Petekidis, J. W. Swan, and J. Brady, "Dynamics of Hard sphere colloidal particles near a wall", Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 068302, (2009).
- G. Brambilla, D. El Masri, M. Pierno, L. Berthier, L. Cipelletti, G. Petekidis, and A. B. Schofield, "Probing the Equilibrium Dynamics of Colloidal Hard Spheres above the Mode-Coupling Glass Transition", Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 085703, (2009).
- E. Stiakakis, A. Wilk, J. Kohlbrecher, D. Vlassopoulos, and G. Petekidis, "Slow Dynamics, Aging and Crystallization of multiarm star glasses", Phys. Rev. E 81, 020402, (2010).
- F. Renou, J. Stellbrink, and G. Petekidis, "Yielding processes in a soft colloidal glass under large amplitude oscillatory shear (LAOS)", J. Rheology 54(6), 1219-1242, (2010).
- Koumakis, N, Laurati, M, Egelhaaf, SU, Brady, JF, Petekidis, G. "Yielding of Hard-Sphere Glasses during Start-Up Shear", PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS 108, 098303 (2012).
- Koumakis, N, Brady, JF, Petekidis, G. "Complex Oscillatory Yielding of Model Hard-Sphere Glasses", PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS 110, 178301 (2013).
- Jacob, AR, Poulos, AS, Kim, S, Vermant, J, Petekidis, G. "Convective Cage Release in Model Colloidal Glasses", PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS 115, 218301 (2015).
- Moghimi, E, Jacob, AR, Koumakis, N, Petekidis, G. "Colloidal gels tuned by oscillatory shear", SOFT MATTER 13, 2371-2383 (2017).
- Joshi, YM, Petekidis, G. "Yield stress fluids and ageing", RHEOLOGICA ACTA 57, 521-549 (2018).