- Nonlinear interactions of intense femtosecond laser pulses with matter.
- Nonlinear laser propagation phenomena - filamentation.
- Photonic structuring in the bulk of transparent solid materials.
- Quantum and complexity physics with photonic lattices.
- Intense tunable THz sources and THz nonlinear Optics.
- Tunable THz metamaterials.
- Environmental/atmospheric physics.
Short Curriculum Vitae
Stelios Tzortzakis received his Ph.D. from the École Polytechnique (France, 2001) in Nonlinear Optics. He has worked and collaborated with many research laboratories in Europe, Asia, and the USA. He has held a CNRS position at the École Polytechnique in France (2003-2005). In 2006 he was the recipient of a European Union Marie Curie Excellence Grant, with which he founded and led since then (presently as collaborating faculty), the UNIS research group at IESL-FORTH in Greece, where he was also the deputy director of the Institute (2009-2015). Prof. Tzortzakis is a recognized expert in nonlinear laser propagation phenomena and has created the filamentation.org website, a unique information resource for the related scientific community. He has been the chair/co-chair and member of scientific committees for many international conferences. He has more than 150 publications in high impact peer-reviewed journals (like in Nature) with more than 7400 citations, more than 100 plenary and invited talks at international conferences, h-index=43, g-index=83 (Google Scholar). He is teaching, classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, optics, and photonics courses, as well as “Physics for World Leaders” for non-science students. He has supervised >40 undergraduate and graduate students (9 Ph.D.). He has a long successful track record in organizing and participating in national and international research funding projects, summing more than 10M€ in the last ten years. In 2013 he received the “Rozhdestvensky Medal” of the Russian Optical Society for key contributions in strong field Laser and THz science.
- Koulouklidis AD, Gollner C, Shumakova V, Fedorov VY, Pugzlys A, Baltuska A and Tzortzakis S, Observation of extremely efficient terahertz generation from mid-infrared two-color laser filaments, NATURE COMMUNICATIONS 11 (1), 292 (2020). [Highlighted in Phys.org]
- Tasolamprou AC, Koulouklidis AD, Daskalaki C, Mavidis CP, Kenanakis G, Deligeorgis G, Viskadourakis Z, Kuzhir P, Tzortzakis S, Kafesaki M, Economou EN and Soukoulis CM, Experimental Demonstration of Ultrafast THz Modulation in a Graphene-Based Thin Film Absorber through Negative Photoinduced Conductivity, ACS PHOTONICS 6 (3), 720-727 (2019). [Journal Cover Page]
- Koulouklidis Anastasios D., Papazoglou DG, Fedorov Vladimir Yu. and Tzortzakis S, Phase Memory Preserving Harmonics from Abruptly Autofocusing Beams, PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS 119 (22), 223901 (2017). [Editors’ Suggestion]
- Dey Indranuj, Jana Kamalesh, Fedorov Vladimir Yu., Koulouklidis Anastasios D., Mondal Angana, Shaikh Moniruzzaman, Sarkar Deep, Lad Amit D., Tzortzakis S, Couairon Arnaud and Kumar G. Ravindra, Highly efficient broadband terahertz generation from ultrashort laser filamentation in liquids, NATURE COMMUNICATIONS 8 1184 (2017). [Highlighted in Phys.org]
- Chanal Margaux, Fedorov Vladimir Yu., Chambonneau Maxime, Clady Raphael, Tzortzakis S and Grojo David, Crossing the threshold of ultrafast laser writing in bulk silicon, NATURE COMMUNICATIONS 8 773 (2017). [Highlighted in Phys.org]
- Fedorov V. Yu., Chanal M., Grojo D. and Tzortzakis S, Accessing Extreme Spatiotemporal Localization of High-Power Laser Radiation through Transformation Optics and Scalar Wave Equations, PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS 117 (4), 043902 (2016).
- Liu Kang, Koulouklidis Anastasios D., Papazoglou DG, Tzortzakis S and Zhang Xi-Cheng, Enhanced terahertz wave emission from air-plasma tailored by abruptly autofocusing laser beams, OPTICA 3 (6), 605-608 (2016).
- Panagiotopoulos P., Papazoglou DG, Couairon A. and Tzortzakis S, Sharply autofocused ring-Airy beams transforming into non-linear intense light bullets, NATURE COMMUNICATIONS 4 2622 (2013).
- Bellec M., Panagiotopoulos P., Papazoglou DG, Efremidis N. K., Couairon A. and Tzortzakis S, Observation and Optical Tailoring of Photonic Lattice Filaments, PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS 109 (11), 113905 (2012). [Highlighted in Physics]
- Shen Nian-Hai, Massaouti Maria, Gokkavas Mutlu, Manceau Jean-Michel, Ozbay Ekmel, Kafesaki M, Koschny Thomas, Tzortzakis S and Soukoulis CM, Optically Implemented Broadband Blueshift Switch in the Terahertz Regime, PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS 106 (3), 037403 (2011).