Research interests include numerical methods in applied magnetism
- Magnetic viscosity in fine particles and ultra-thin films
- High speed switching of the magnetization
- Magneto-optic thin films
- High temperature magnetization dynamics
- FePt media for heat assisted magnetic recording
- Ballistic thermal transport in magnetic multilayers.
Short Curriculum Vitae
Andreas Lyberatos received his B.Sc. in Physics from University in London in 1982. He obtained his PhD in Physics in 1986 from the same University. He did his PhD work with Prof. E.P. Wohlfarth on interaction effects in fine particle ferromagnets. He was a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Central Lancashire (1989-1990), University of Manchester (1990-1991) and Keele University (1991-1996) in the U.K. working with Prof. R.W. Chantrell on magnetic viscosity and thermal fluctuations in micromagnetics. In 1996 he moved at the Physics department of the University of Crete, where he worked as a visiting Lecturer on Monte Carlo models of domain growth in ultra-thin films with perpendicular anisotropy. From 2000 to 2008, he was an independent research consultant of Seagate Technology in Pittsburgh, USA working on the switching speed of perpendicular recording media and heat assisted magnetic recording. In 2009 he moved to the Department of Materials Science and Technology, as a visiting lecturer (2009-2014) where he worked on atomistic models of FePt HAMR media and magnetic vortices. In 2014 he was appointed Associate Professor at the same Department and is currently working in ballistic thermal transport in HAMR media, finite size scaling theory and high temperature magnetization dynamics.
Selected Recent Publications
- A.Lyberatos, ‘Anisotropy field and dynamic coercivity of L10-FePt nanoparticles close to the Curie temperature’ Physica B: Phys. Cond. Matter 576, 411741 (2020).
- A.Lyberatos and G. J. Parker, ‘Model of ballistic-diffusive thermal transport in HAMR media’, Jap. J. Appl. Phys. 58, 045002 (2019).
- D. Weller, G. Parker, O. Mosendz, A. Lyberatos, D. Mitin, N.Y. Safonova and M. Albrecht, ‘FePt heat assisted magnetic recording media' J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 34, 060801 (2016)
- A. Lyberatos and G.J. Parker , ‘Cluster Monte Carlo methods for the FePt Hamiltonian’ J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 400, 266 (2016)
- A. Lyberatos, D. Weller and G.J. Parker , ‘Finite size effects in L10-FePt nanoparticles’, J. Appl. Phys. 114, 233904 (2013).
- R.F.L. Evans, R.W. Chantrell, U. Nowak, A. Lyberatos and H.J. Richter , ‘The thermodynamic limit of magnetic recording’, Appl. Phys. Letters 100, 102402-102404 (2012).
- A. Lyberatos, D. Weller, G.J. Parker and B.C. Stipe, ‘Size dependence of the Curie temperature of L10-FePt nanoparticles’, J. Appl. Phys. 112, 113915-113921 (2012).